DIARY: Damage Report

Good news today. Yesterday's mammoth run did not exacerberate my injury, even though I felt it at the end.

I seem to have figured out how it works now. Apparently, the inflammation is now dead, but the tear is not yet repaired. Since the fascias is made of collagen (a protein), it takes a while to rebuild (but it's only in the last week since the inflammation died off that repair would have started).

Based on that, I'm giving the running another wee rest until Ticknock. I've rebuild enough base-fitness to ferry me into that race, and my cross-training methods are almost ready to take over in the meantime. With plenty of Glucosamine, BCAA (branched chain amino acids) protein (the highest quality), and further exercise, regeneration of the area should be a formality.

I got some invaluable feedback from some of the foremost experts in Irish Hill-Running, as I mentioned, and am using it to build the mother of all Excel Sheets. it's really more of an application, that will track every single aspect of my running life and will incorporate (I hope) the best of all training schools in a comprehensive knowledge base.

Peak Centre?
This will change the way I work with the Peak Centre. From now on I bring the basic parametres to Emma, along with the training methods I would like implemented, she will then measure my current status, help me plot the monthly strategy and incorporate the plans from that.

I'm clamping down, and clamping down hard, on anything that has made me "sloppy" over the last 6 months. The other day, someone called me "an aspiring international" (a reference to my mad attempt at fulfilling the Danish qualification criteria for the Euro and World championships in Mountain Running). This changed something, looking at the lads who run at that level in this country, and the international class that currently exists beyond them still, I just can't afford any slip-ups, any stupidities, or any gaps in my training.

I think I lost sight of the monumental nature of my task. They say you should always look at the next task, and while that is true, if I don't keep reminding myself exactly how overwhelmingly difficult it's going to be to achieve what I want, I will keep slipping up here and there. And it all adds up.

We're "70%" genetics, Tony, my physio, said, "so we've got to give ourselves every chance with those 30% we have to play with". That starts now, today.

Runners World
As a little anecdote to this, I got myself a copy of Runner's World, and it's excellent. I'll get a subscription now, as it's simply essential that I keep up with everything that happens in the running world.

The website is pretty cool too, especially the section on injuries.

Race Planning
Last season I ran 45 races, which was definitely a bit much, even though some were very forgiving races such as the orienteering events (those are only forgiving because I chose to treat them as my "recreational runs", of course).

For looking at serious orienteers, and listening to my dad's stories about his glory days in the army, it's no doubt tough stuff if you aim to win! (as it would be in most sports!)

I chopped a lot off my original plan for this season today, but only brought it down to 36 "yes" and 5 "maybe" runs. I have prioritised me races into A, B, C, and D, so if I can take that mindset with me into them, I should be fine, and most of the races are during a compact June-July spell, while there is plenty of open spaces all of the remaining months for quality training. All in all, I'm very happy with this, and I believe Emma will be too.

Comments